This is one of our finest examples of a typical small cottage and farmstead of the Sixtowns. The tin roof ensured that this fine little building would survive the ravages of time. It has its barn and byre attached to the dwelling as was the tradition many years ago. It received a rehab some time ago and is still occupied.

In 1856 this house and farm belonged to a man called Hicks Hutchinson. Little is known about this man or his family but they were gone from here by 1901. Then a branch of the McConomy family from Glengamna moved here at some time in the first decade of the 1900`s.We have listed in the 1911 census, a Joseph Conway 39 and his wife Bridget 33, living here with their sons, Patrick 8 and Joseph 5. Also their daughters Annie 3 and Catherene who is 1. Joe was the last of these Conways to live in this house and he never married so the name died out. Joe (senior) was a shoemaker and a great character in the area. Locals would ceildhi with him while he got their shoes ready. He would be making Sparabled boots (boots with soles full of stud nails) and he would have his mouth full of these nails as he chatted away. His son Joe must have remembered these studded shoes because he used to refer to motor bike men wearing stud leather jackets as “them boys on the bikes with the jackets nailed onto their backs.”

One of the girls married a Bradley man from Garvagh. They ended up owning this place and later sold it to Joe Clerkin who lives close by.

This small cottage, with its barn and byre attached then belonged to the McConomy family who originally came from Glengamna. Below are the McConomy houses in Glengamna. The baby being christened here was the late Mrs Deehan who lived in Magherafelt until well into her nineties. The photo was taken around 1923.

McConomy House 2