The wee school was originally built as a school with a dwelling, so it is one of our historic buildings. William Phillips tells us that he was born in that building. His mother, Elizabeth Phillips was the teacher  in the school at the time. Ironically it eventually became a dwelling when the school closed in the early 1960`s. It became the home of the McGeagh family before being eventually sold and new owner Camillus Bradley has made it an Air B&B.

Prior to 1896, Sixtowns pupils of all denominations attended Altayeskey National School. However, dispute arose around the teaching of religion in the school and the Protestant pupils moved to a new school close to St. Anne`s Church. This was a smaller building than Altayeskey and hence it became referred to in the community as “the wee school”.